Thursday, January 14, 2010

No more weddings for me...

This is my 3rd and last wedding cake. You'd think it would just get easier...negative. This was a stressful cake. I made it for my wonderful friend Janie's son. I'm so glad it turned out. (it looks much better decorated and from far away!!)  I haven't dealt with fondant for years and I forgot how much I don't like it. If any of you attempt to make a cake with fondant I would suggest- don't make your own! I made 15lbs of marshmellow fondant and it didn't work. It didn't want to stick and make a pretty flat surface. Unfortunately- I found this out the day before the wedding. This morning I rushed to the store to spend $65 on fondant (yes another reason you don't want to use fondant) The bottom layer was 16" styrofoam and then the other layers were 12" and 8".  I bought buttercream frosting from Sams Club (best decision ever!) and the cake recipe was fabulous! I would suggest trying it. 

1 box devil's food cake
1 4oz instant chocolate pudding
1 C sour cream
1/2 C oil
1/2 water
3 eggs










Here's a picture of my last wedding cake (yep it was a mountain!)


0 comments: